So, you are a fresh 90 paladin and want to heal? Here are some tips to help you gear up.
Let’s assume you are a fresh 90 in pre 5-man heroic gear. Greens and blues … sigh what poopy gear you are probably thinking. Don’t fret! There are plenty of ways to improve your ilvl and get you into heroic dungeons and Looking for Raid (LFR).
Goal: Boost your ilvl to get into heroic dungeons and LFR
1. Normal Dungeons. Focus on Mogu’shan Palace and Shado-Pan Monastary. This will help you gain ilvl with the 435 and 450 ilvl gear it drops. You need to have an ilvl of 450 to begin running heroic dungeons.
2. Scenarios. Right after dinging lvl 90, I recommend the scenario Proving Grounds. This scenario will reward you with a weapon that is ilvl 450. Doing a random scenario will give you a loot bag at the end with a chance of gear. Running random scenarios will also reward you with Valor Points (VP) that can in turn be used to buy epic gear from VP vendors.
3. Dailies. This is by far the most annoying part of gearing up, imo. You do need to do your dailies each day though. Once you are 90, head to Shrine of the 2 Moons (or the alliance version Shrine of Seven Stars, I believe) and you will be able to pick up quests that will get you started on your daily quest grind. Golden Lotus and Isle of Thunder dailies are the easiest ones to begin. Klaxxi dailies are located in the Dread Wastes and the quest hub will open up after questing in the Dread Wastes. Golden Lotus dailies open up after you talk with Anduin and finish the trials at the Temple of the White Tiger. Isle of Thunder dailies can be opened by accepting a quest to find a scout. Keep following that quest line and shortly you will be on the Isle of Thunder ready to start your dailies. Doing dailies will also reward you with Lesser Charms that you can turn in for Greater Charms to give you a chance at more loot during raids (LFR , normal, or heroic versions).
Icy Veins has great guides to the daily factions, Golden Lotus and Klaxxi .
Klaxxi Dailies (Photo credit: Center4EduPunx)
4. Heroic Dungeons. You finally made it to ilvl 440! Start grinding random heroic dungeons and keep your eye on your VP and JP (Justice Points) to make sure you do not cap out. As I mentioned before, use your VP for epics you can buy with the different faction reps. As for JP, the biggest ilvl boost you can get from JP is turning it into honor. Sounds silly right? Yes, it does sound silly but you can get the biggest ilvl upgrade from honor gear. It might not be the best choice for PVE healing but it will get you into LFR faster assuming your main goal is to do LFR and raid.
5. LFR. Now you are ready for Looking for Raid! Hooray! Ilvl 460 will allow you to queue for Mogu’Shan Vaults. Ilvl 470 will allow you to queue for Heart of Fear and Terrace of the Endless Spring. Ilvl 480 will allow you to queue for the latest LFR Throne of Thunder. Here is where you will see simplified versions of the normal mode raid bosses, and will drop item level 476 gear and above.
Again, I am going to link a Icy Veins’ guide. I can’t help it! I love Icy Veins and I will probably continue to link them in many of my posts. They have a guide on gearing up and shows what is BIS from ilvl 419 to ilvl 535. Click HERE for the guide.